Wounded photographer escapes
Beirut, Lebanon (CNN) — British photographer Paul Conroy, who was wounded in an attack in Syria that left two other journalists dead last week, has been smuggled out of the country and is now safe in Lebanon, his newspaper said Tuesday.
But French journalist Edith Bouvier, who was injured in the same attack, and other journalists are refusing to leave the besieged Syrian city of Homs without Syrian government guarantees that their photographs and recordings will not be confiscated, the opposition Local Coordination Committees of Syria said.
Avaaz, an international activist network, said Bouvier and two other journalists are believed to be in the same field hospital in the Homs neighborhood of Baba Amr where they were last week.
There is no word on the fate of the bodies of Marie Colvin and Remi Ochlik, who were killed in Homs.
Trapped, injured reporters beg for help
Marie Colvin’s family on her legacy
‘Horrifying massacre’ in Syria
Syrian activists “suffered and risked their lives” over the course of six nights to smuggle Conroy to a safe house in Lebanon, said Wissam Tarif, an Avaaz spokesman.
Three were killed by “targeted Syrian shelling as they tried to assist the journalists through Baba Amr, and 10 died bringing relief supplies into the neighborhood, Avaaz said in a written statement.
“Syrian activists wanted to help their friends who have been so bravely telling the story of the carnage in Homs,” Tarif said.
Conroy’s wife, Kate, told CNN she was “overjoyed with the news. We just need time to gather our thoughts before it all goes completely mad. I haven’t spoken to him yet, but I’ve heard the good news on the television.”
His newspaper, the Sunday Times, said he was safe and in Lebanon.
“He is in good shape and good spirits,” the newspaper said in a statement.
Avaaz executive director Ricken Patel said: “The world must now listen carefully to the human horror stories that Paul will tell and act to end this bloodbath and deliver the urgent relief and protection to the people of Syria.”
An additional 40 wounded people were smuggled out of the Baba Amr neighborhood of Homs, Tarif said.
Colvin and Ochlik, both award-winning journalists, were killed on Wednesday.
CNN Senior International Correspondent Nic Robertson and CNN’s Jo Shelley and Bharati Naik contributed to this report.